PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cold Day + Beef Tenderloin = Beef Stroganoff Soup

More comfort food. I wish that this picture did this soup justice, but since I have (as of today HAD) a lousy camera, this is the best I can do.


Until about nine years ago beef stroganoff had never even been on my radar. Around that time my husband and I made a really good friend with one of the other skydivers at the local dropzone. (My husband is the skydiver, but we actually met when I made a skydive and he was my instructor... no, I will not make the "I fell for him" pun here).


The friend has the most incredible family. Seriously. We are talking all around, insanely fun, kind, loving, wonderful, and certified incredible. Both my husband and I are transplants to Utah and had been married for about 5 months when we met this friend. One Sunday afternoon, actually it was Father's Day 1999 and they called us and asked what we were doing for dinner. Since it was still just the two of us then and both of our fathers lived 5 and 12 hours away respectively, we had no plans.


We went to dinner at this friend's house and met his family. They basically adopted us into their family from then on. Here we are, almost ten years later (in May) and still very close to this family. I actually ended up making the wedding cakes for our friend and his lovely bride (who is one of my best friends now, though they grew up together). I will post about that another time when I get the pictures.

So, when I saw that the topic for the Monthly Mingle this time was comfort food, I decided that this was the place to share this with you. For all of you in wintery places, try this soup with some crusty bread on one of those blustery days and enjoy!

Anyway, my point to all this is that comfort doesn't just come from childhood. Beef Stroganoff made by his mother is one of our friends absolute favorite foods, and through having it with his family, has become one of mine. It always makes me feel good and is always just what I needed. Though this recipe is not how "mom" makes it, it is a delicious version as soup that I like to make from scratch. Mom's recipe uses cream of mushroom soup and is thicker and spooned over egg noodles. I love that version as well, but when I found this recipe, it became my go to... though to be honest, Mom's version is still more comforting because it was made by her. Case in point - when I was so ill with this last pregnancy one of the only things I asked for was her Stroganoff. I ate two full plates!



I hope you enjoy this delicious soup version and give it a chance! I can't remember where the original recipe I read came from, but this version has been modified by me so much over the years that it barely resembles that one anyway. Although, be forewarned, this is definately not a low-cal, low-fat, whatever recipe. Thus, the comfort!



Beef Stroganoff Soup



1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (divided)
1 pound tenderloin tips, cubed
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 medium red bell pepper, diced small
2 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp beef base
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Dash of paprika

1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup melted butter (cooked into a roux)
2 cups whipping cream
3/4 cup sour cream

In a medium skillet, melt 1/4 cup of the butter. Add the beef tips and brown. Add the crushed garlic and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes.

In a large soup pot melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter. Add the mushrooms, onions, and red bell pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and tender.

Add the beef to the soup pot and add the water, base and seasonings. Bring to just near a boil.

Make the roux by cooking the melted butter with the flour for 1 to 2 minutes, mixing til smooth. Gradually add to the soup, keep stirring. Should be the consistency of medium gravy. Turn to low and add the cream. Mix in well. Remove from heat and add sour cream. Serve immediately.

(NOTE: This is great served over egg noodles too, or I sometimes cook and add small pasta like farfalle for a little bit "extra" lovin'!)

2 comments:

Meeta K said...

Great to have you over. I do love a good beef stroganoff - making a soup out of it is simply brilliant.

Allen said...

My favorite part of stroganoff is the tangy sauce, so making soup from it is perfect -- what a great idea. It looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin