PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Recipes for Sundance - Park City, Utah - Mac 'n Cheese

I am glad to be writing of more comfort food in relation to the Sundance Festival this time. I just found out that someone I have desperately wanted to see perform is playing at Sundance this year. Josh Groban. I have tried to make it to his concerts and either fate is always against me and I can't get tickets, or the stars are all un-aligned against me and I can't go even if I could get tickets. So, I imagine this time, especially at Sundance, there is no chance I could get to the show, even if we weren't in hibernation at home. But, just knowing that I am missing it again... well, I needed some comfort.

So, for your consuming pleasure and tribute to Sundance and *sigh* me missing a Josh Groban concert - AGAIN - here is a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese from Butcher's Chop House in Park City. This recipe also came from Food Network and their original recipe can be viewed here as well as below. Frankly, as delicious as their versions sounds, I just didn't have everything on hand (and I just didn't have the time last night to go through all these motions).

Oh, and though I did get really lucky and blessed and get to see them in concert a few years ago, since it will never be enough, I have to confess that I am somewhat broken hearted about not making it to Park City this time since U2 was in attendance Saturday night for the premiere of their 3D concert. I really just can't bear to go into any more detail about U2 so, you'll have to read more about that here. I'm going to go eat some more Mac 'n Cheese now and console myself. I'm glad I will be making my entry for Sugar High Friday later today so I can wallow in that as well!

Below is my offering, which, I am glad to say I am eating for lunch today and thoroughly enjoyed last night. The changes I made to the original, again, we're necesscarily intentional, more out of necessity, and it was still delicious. Although Deb over at Smitten Kitchen has another recipe for Mac 'n Cheese as well, I offer this one because it is your taste of Park City. Deb's version looks like it is probably simpler and more traditional. Since Park City tends to lean more on the gourmet side, it probably explains the difference. Anyway, the changes I made are noted below. More Park City to come...


The Recipe:


Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe courtesy Butcher's Chop House and Bar
Show: $40 a Day
Episode: Park City, UT

1 pound penne pasta
6 1/2 cups milk
1 onion wedge, studded with cloves (I skipped this as I am trying not to eat too much onion and am out of whole cloves)
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 ounces unsalted butter
1/8 cup diced white onion (I used shallots for a milder flavor)
1/8 cup small-diced carrot
4 ounces all-purpose flour
1 pound extra-sharp white Cheddar, shredded (recommended: Cabot)
4 ounces yellow Cheddar, shredded
Salt and white pepper
Ground nutmeg (*sigh* I am also out of whole nutmeg...and since I think the preground stuff is now a waste of time I also left this out)

Bread Crumb Topping, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking, in a heavy, medium saucepan, combine the milk, clove-studded onion, thyme, and bay leaf over medium heat. In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and carrot and saute until tender. Add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Strain the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until it's thickened and smooth. Strain this milk mixture into a heat-proof bowl. Stir in the shredded cheeses and mix until melted. Season, to taste, with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in the pasta and mix well. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a baking pan and top it with the Bread Crumb Topping. Bake the macaroni and cheese until it is warmed through. Serve immediately.

Bread Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese (I used parmesan because it was what I had)
1/2 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
1 tablespoon assorted chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, and basil (I skipped it - pretty much out of laziness - sorry! It was great without it though)

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin