PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

GWW: French Breakfast Puffs

Photobucket

Well, it's Wednesday, and it is probably well past time for me to try to be a good wifey since I have been more of a crazy person lately.  Yesterday we, one other mom and myself, made and served dinner to the teachers and staff at the charter school our kids attend as part of a Teacher appreciation type of thing during parent/teacher conferences.  Anyway, it was crazy!  I did get to make some good food and treats, but I will get to that another time.

Since I spent the last few days getting ready to feed the teachers (oh, and it was dinner for 40) I wanted to find something easy and fun to make with breakfast yesterday, so, since darling Leigh outlined the recipes she wanted to try to make this month, in no particular order, so that we could all play along, I decided to see what wisdom the good ole Betty Crocker Picture Book had to offer with these French Breakfast Puffs.  

While you could certainly eat them for breakfast I can't see any reason why anyone would call them French, or even puffy for that matter.  What they are though is a quick, simple, tender muffin with good flavor and a nice sugar and spice hit from their roll in cinnamon and sugar.

So, for my Good Wife Wednesday this week, I made these tender little darlings.  Easy, simple and satisfying.

Photobucket

French Breakfast Puffs
Mix together thoroughly...
     1/3 cup shortening
     1/2 cup sugar
     1 egg
Sift together...
     1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
     1 1/2 tsp baking powder
     1/2 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp nutmeg
and stir in alternately with...
     1/2 cup milk

Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake until golden brown.  Immediately roll in...
     6 Tbsp melted butter
then in mixture of...
     1/2 cup sugar
     1 tsp cinnamon

Serve hot.
Temp.:  350 degree F oven
Time:  Bake 20 to 25 minutes
Amount:  12 muffins 

12 comments:

Manggy said...

You're right, they are not at all what I pictured when I saw the title! I was expecting danish-like stuff :) But I'd still have them, with butter and honey :)

chocolatechic said...

I love these.

You have inspired me to make myself muffins for breakfast.






Just don't tell anyone they are from a Jiffy mix.

CB said...

Mmmm... that looks so good. Forgive my drool. I haven't had my breakfast yet.
/Clara

Mary Ann said...

These look wonderful, as does your brulee below. Great job! and I can't wait to see your Pie creation next week- I am kind of giddy about it!

Deborah said...

I can call myself anything but a good wifey lately - I guess that's what happens when you're pregnant, though!!

But these do look great. And maybe my husband will forgive me for the dirty house, full laundry basket, and no food on the table if I make him these muffins!

vibi said...

Mmmm... anything sprinkled with a little sugar, wether for breakfast or anyother meal for that matter, calls my name!
They look super moist and totaly appetizing!

Barbara said...

These look wonderful. I'd make them right now but I need to lose weight.

Anonymous said...

It ain't fair, yours look so much better than mine! You need to log on so I can chat you up woman.

Madam Chow said...

These look so good - perfect for an autumn weekend!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Anonymous said...

I've made these before and they are delicious! I was bad...I couldn't stop eating them.

Nic said...

Oooh, little bites of deliciousness! I wouldn't be able to stop at one, or two...

TeaLady said...

MMMMMMMMMM!!! Muffins. What could be easier. These look perfect for breakfast one morning. Mini muffins would fit just right into the mouth....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin