PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

TWD: Rugelach


Photobucket
Chocolate, Dulce de Leche, Pecans, Cinnamon and Sugar


I have to tell you, I know I just said this about the pumpkin muffins, but I love that this group helps me to make things I've never made before. The difference between those muffins and this week's recipe for Rugelach, chosen by Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal, is that as soon as I read the ingredients and story with this recipe, I couldn't wait to make it and I knew I would love it.

I have had this one bookmarked ever since I got my copy of Baking From My Home to Yours. I am so glad that the time came for these cookies / pastries. I can't stress enough how much I loved these. Making them, and of course, and especially eating them. Everyone that tried them really loved them too.

Photobucket
Almond Cream, Chopped Almonds, Poppy Seeds, Cinnamon and Sugar

I was so excited to make this that I knew that, much like the biscotti, I would want to have these available on hand as often as possible. The other fun part of this kind of recipe is the fact that you can make a big batch of these and freeze the bulk of it, then just have them on hand any time.

Also, I love that it gives me the opportunity to play around with different filling choices - and, since they are freezeable, that means I can bake a few of each kind on the same sheet and everyone gets what they love. Well, I guess everyone, unless you were actually expecting to see the raisins or currants here. Which, since you're probably as tired of hearing me say it as I am of saying it, but this is pretty much a no-raisin zone. Sorry raisin commission - nothing against you, but I just don't like the little buggers.

Photobucket


It was also really fun to find that Dorie had already posted about Rugelach a while back on her blog. You can not only read Dorie's post on her blog but you can listen to her baking these in her interview and baking session on NPR. I love it when they have those. It is just way too much fun.
So, for the variations I made this time around I went with the following:

- Almond cream (recipe in BFMHTY toward the back of the book), sprinkled with poppy seeds, chopped almonds, and cinnamon and sugar
- Dulce de Leche, , chopped pecans, chopped bittersweet Lindt chocolate, and cinnamon and sugar

I also have several variations planned and seem to be thinking up more and more as I go along. I can't wait to try:

- Seedless raspberry jam, coconut, chopped walnuts
- Chopped white chocolate, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts
- Salted butter caramel, chopped cashews

And on the savory side of life, since Dorie talks all about that on her blog, I really want to try:

- Shredded chicken, bbq sauce, shredded white cheddar, crumbled bacon
- Spinach and artichoke, parmesan, cream cheese, roasted garlic, cayenne
- Pepperoni, pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella
- Pulled pork, sweet vinegar bbq sauce

Photobucket

32 comments:

Cristine said...

Yours look beautiful! I did the craisin/white chocolate combo and it was heaven. You should definately give it a try!

I love your creations! I'll have to give them a go next time!

Manggy said...

Awesome. I'll have mine with raisins, hee :) Even the savory ones sound really good!

Peabody said...

Those look good. I was a bad girl and did not get mine done this week. :(
The savory ones sound like they would make great appetizers.

chocolatechic said...

Oh...the look wonderful.

Signed,
A fellow raisin free zoner

Engineer Baker said...

Whoa, almond cream and poppy seeds? That sounds wonderful. And while I've never considered doing a savory variation, your ideas definitely make me want to try.

Susie Homemaker said...

raisins suck.
Dulce rocks.
So do you!!

ostwestwind said...

Phenomenal and wowing pictures!


Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Unknown said...

Put Dulce de Leche on my list of rugelach flavors I need to try! Beautiful job.

marae said...

savory sounds yummy!!! i prefer more traditional because the flavors just work so fabulously, but the savory is on my list of 'to try'.. yours are super cute!

mimi said...

your rugelach look fantastic!! chocolate and dulche de leche just sound way too decadent though!

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

One word- HEAVENLY!

vibi said...

I'm glad you liked them... the savory version is brilliant!
I'm sure those didn't last long in your household! LOL

kimberly salem said...

omg! they look gorgeous. almond cream, dulce de leche... how ridiculously delicious :) love the idea for savory ones too!

Megan said...

The savory versions look very interesting - but I think I like the sweet versions better!

Shelby said...

They look awesome and I love this recipe!

Allison said...

The dulce de leche ones sound heavenly! Sounds like you're not the only one who dislikes raisins... I left them out as well.

Gabi said...

Of course everyone who tried those loved them- they look fantastic!
I am with you on the raisins( I only like them in very few dishes) that's why I used dried cherries for mine. Your flavour combos sound heavenly....mmmm....
xox

NKP said...

Leave it to you to come up with tons of amazing variations. Yours look lovely, great photos. Now I am going to check out those donuts...

Anne said...

I agree everything tastes better with dulce de lleche instead of raisins! Your changes look great and I'd love to see some of those variations you wrote up too. Great job! (And I want to see your fashion pie, too!!)

betty geek said...

I love your poster-size pictures! I can practically eat them from the screen! Thanks darling!

Kayte said...

Gorgeous. I think you won this week, don't you? I mean all those combinations...I never would have thought to go the savory route at all with these. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

slush said...

I love your creative fillings! Brilliant Holly! And the idea of savory is really interesting too. I may give that a whirl at the holidays.

LyB said...

You have put a lot of thought into this! All those variations sound incredible, sweet and savory. I'm going to tell you right away that I'm stealing the salted butter caramel and chopped cashews idea from you for my next batch, that sounds just too fabulous to pass up! :)

Tammy said...

i dont like raisins either! All your ideas sound great and your rugelach look fab!

Linda said...

I'm also going to try savory the next time...those fillings sound unbelievably delicious!

Di said...

Wow, lots of great filling ideas! I love the idea of spinach & artichoke. =) Your rugelach look terrific.

Unknown said...

Your rugelach looks great!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

delicious!! my house is a no-raisin zone, too. i'd love your almond cream version--sounds great!

CB said...

Mmmm... dulce de leche. I have to admit this wasn't a favorite but some of those savory ideas might make me change my mind! Glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Maria said...

Great fillings!! The photos are fantastic too!

Anonymous said...

Your fillings sound wonderful. Awesome photos too.

Shari said...

Wow, I love your ideas for all the sweet AND savory combinations. I was excited about this recipe too. Looks like yours turned out delicious!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin