PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

TWD: Real Butterscotch Pudding

Photobucket

Wow. I have to just say, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, this holiday season is totally kicking my trash. Assuming that things slow down a bit, I will be extremely grateful when they do. I don't know if it is just in part due to the fact that I completely skipped out on the entire holiday season craziness to spend the winter last year in the house with the kids or what, but I am just beyond out of practice. Anyway...

Yesterday was my 10 year wedding anniversary. I felt like I deserved some kind of badge of honor for making it since it hasn't been easy, but I settled for doughnuts instead. Since the recipe for this week, chosen by Donna of Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases was for Dorie's Real Butterscotch Pudding, I have been wracking my brain trying to decide what I would do with the pudding. I thought about tarts, but I figured that would probably be done quite a bit (and for good reason) but I wanted to try to be different. Besides, when I do get around to making butterscotch tarts, I think it is going to have to be the ones Peabody made a while back.

I have had this recipe bookmarked for a while over at Peanut Butter & Julie is a fellow Giada fan I thought I would give this a go. The only change I made to the original recipe was to sub the cappuccino filling with - you guessed it - butterscotch pudding. I wanted it to be a bit lighter than regular pudding though, so I whipped about 3/4 cup of whipping cream with about 1 Tablespoon of sugar and a splash of vanilla, then folded that into the well chilled pudding, before piping it into the doughnuts.

It was fun to make them that way, and for good measure to make a few doughnuts with this chocolate glaze (which is THE BEST chocolate glaze for doughnuts ever). One caution with the doughnuts is to be sure your oil is the correct temperature. On a few, mine was not, and the doughnuts were well done on the outside and still doughy in the middle.

What I really enjoyed though, was eating the pudding exactly as Dorie suggests in the book - with a little whipped cream and some buttered pecans. Awesome.

The flavor of the pudding is not quite caramel, more buttery and it was a bit difficult to quite put my finger on what the elusive flavor reminded me of. Not really butterscotch candies, more of like a Werther's candy, but still, not quite. Suffice it to say that butterscotch really is it's own flavor and I am a big fan.

The only other change I made was to just substitute vanilla for the scotch, which of course some would argue makes it not butterscotch, but, oh well. It is what it is... and what it is, is good. UPDATE:  Oh, and by the way, if Shuna says that butterscotch can have nothing to do with alcohol, then I'm with her.

Now, go see what the rest of the Tuesdays with Dorie crowd came up with this week.


Photobucket

28 comments:

Cristine said...

Happy anniversary! Your pudding looks great and I love how you used it for donuts! YUM!

Manggy said...

Happy anniversary Holly! Don't worry about the blogging-- the holidays give us plenty of material for the coming weeks, heh heh :) Have a great one!

The Food Librarian said...

Happy Anniversary!!! What a yummy pudding and perfect donut filling! Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season! - Mary the Food Librarian

NKP said...

Mmmmm donuts...
Great idea! You are the best!
The coffee cup shots look great too, happy anniversary. :)

LyB said...

Pudding filled doughnuts? Wow, perfect anniversary dessert! Happy anniversary! :)

chocolatechic said...

Wow! That looks great.

Megan said...

Pudding filled doughnuts = happiness.

Happy Holidays!

LaDue & Crew said...

Ten years- Congrats, that's no small feat!! I am so wanting one of your donuts right now!!

Anonymous said...

Rad. I bet it was wonderful. Happy holidays to you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!
And Butterscotch Pudding with donuts?? Why didn't I think of that?
So glad you liked my choice. I was beginning to think I picked a dud.

Send one of those donuts over here, I can add it to my pudding!

Have a wonderful holiday!
Donna
Spatulas & Corkscrews

Spike said...

Those doughnuts look amazing. Happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary. The doughnuts look absolutely wonderful.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Wonderfully creative idea to fill donuts with this pudding! Happy Anniversary. Badge of honor, coming your way.

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary - I know what you mean by being a little overwhelmed by the holidays. Just when I think I'm all baked out, I see your beautiful doughnuts...yum. Glad you liked the pudding; it sounds like it makes a great butter-nilla version.

mimi said...

love that you piped this into donuts, i bet it tasted amazing! and happy anniversary!

Di said...

Happy anniversary! What a fantastic idea to put the pudding inside doughnuts. I have to try doughnuts again--my one attempt wasn't very successful.

Jules Someone said...

Happy anniversary! I was just wondering if you can call it butterscotch if you don't use scotch. Lovely anyway!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

happy anniversary, and happy holidays! pudding and donuts--oh my gosh--delicious!!

Madam Chow said...

Now I want doughnuts. What are you ladies doing to me?! On another note, butterscotch originally had nothing to do with scotch, so I was suspicious when I added it in. It knocked my socks off, it was so good!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!
You're such a creative TWD baker... the donuts filled with the pudding look great! And so does the plain pudding :)

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Oh, my goodness, those doughnuts look so delicious. Now I am thinking I should make them for Christmas morning.

Peabody said...

Doughnuts stuffed with butterscother pudding...see, this is why you were my TWD hero!

Gabi said...

Congratulations! 10 years is a milestone worth celebrating. I love butterscotch and I agree Scotch has no place in it! It's toffee for the Scots and butterwelsh is toffee for the Welsh. I might have to make some now...
xoxo

Liliana said...

What a great idea! Your butterscoth doughnuts sound delicious!

Happy 10th anniversary! It is a milestone celebration!

AmyRuth said...

Your Photos are lovely and I wish I could taste. Happy 10th Year Anniversary. Truly an adventure, like U-Haul. he he
AmyRuth

Jaime said...

WOW!! holy yum doughnuts!

happy anniv!

betty geek said...

I am a sucker for doughnuts. I am totally making these someday. And happy anniverary and holidays! I am sure you are a busy mom! :)

kimberly salem said...

omg. those donuts look AMAZING :) great job and happy anniversary!
btw, i checked on wikipedia and it's true, NO SCOTCH! it's all a lie! ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin