PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TWD: Coconut Butter Thicks



Yes, Coconut Butter Thicks, not Thins. Why? I would like to tell you that I'm really smart and thought it would be cool to make these cookies nice and thick so that they end up more like shortbread instead of being thin and lacey. I'd like to tell you it was all a great plan of mine. I would be lieing. This ended up being at least one time for me though that my lack of clearly reading instructions all the way through because I was in hurry actually worked in my favor.

What a way to end my very first NaBloPoMo!

Clearly marked in the instructions for these cookies it says to roll them 1/4-inch thick. I didn't see that part. In fact, all I saw was the dimensions for the size of the rectangle to roll these cookies out. Add to that the fact that I made a half batch and then tried to roll my rectangle to half the size of the full batch and well, basically, this was a snafu of all kinds of mathematical errors on my part.



All I can to that is, it really didn't matter. In fact, I think I probably would still love these cookies in their thin and lacey form (and I will try again to make them that way now since I had a plan for that). That said, I loved, loved, loved these cookies as thick shortbread type cookies. They taste incredible. Other than my little snafu I didn't change the recipe at all.

I wanted to take a moment to send @doriegreenspan (that is where you can find our one and only Dorie on Twitter, in case you were wondering) for helping me through a couple of tweets to figure out what I had done wrong. Thank you Dorie for the technical support! You're the best!

This week's recipe for Coconut Butter Thins was chosen by Jayne, The Barefoot Kitchen Witch, which is where you can find the recipe for these awesome cookies, as well as in The Best Baking Book EVER. Don't forget to visit the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll to see all the cookies made by people who can actually read directions!



This is the main reason why making these cookies thicker really worked in my favor. We had a little chocolate and fruit fondue last night with some friends while we played a little Catan (and no, I didn't win... this time!). These cookies dipped in a little chocolate, are nothing short of extraordinary!

Easy Chocolate Fondue
(This recipe makes about 3 cups)

16 oz. good quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl. In a large Pyrex container or other heat-proof bowl, measure and heat the heavy cream until almost boiling. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 1 minute. Using a small whisk, stir the chocolate and cream together until it all comes together into a smooth sauce. Add the vanilla and whisk in. Serve warm.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it turned out well in the end! The cookies look great the way you made them. I love that you can still see the fork holes :)

chocolatechic said...

I didn't read the recipe as well as I should have either....

doughmesstic said...

Oh, I want them THICK like yours!!
And fondue? What a fab idea.
I wish I had friends. :(

Melissa said...

Gorgeous butter thins!

snicketmom said...

Your cookies look fine and your fondue, divine! All that fruit it gorgeous. What a treat.

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

These would be SO GOOD dipped in fondue!! Genius! They look great - mine spread a lot but I still enjoyed them.

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Mermaid Sews said...

Yours look great. I can't belive Dorie Twittered you back - I have to figure this twitter thing out.

Leslie said...

Oh my. Dipped in chocolate? Hold me back!

Flourchild said...

I like the looks of your cookies. I loved this recipe and so did my family!

Pamela said...

Mine were on the thicker side, too. But I really liked them like that and I don't think I would change a thing! Great job!

Katrina said...

Read the recipe? What in the world does that mean? Nope, I didn't either and didn't realize the dough should be chilled. All worked out in the end. (A quick freeze works great!) Love the thick look. Love the idea of fondue even more!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I liked these better thicker rather than thinner! They look great and must taste AWESOME with some good fondue!

Anonymous said...

Cookies and fondue. YUM.

Banjo said...

Oh gosh don't they look perfect!! And how fun you got help from Dorie.. I love it!

Maria said...

I like the thick cookies. Great job and perfect for fondue. YUM!

TeaLady said...

What a great way to use the cookies. And dipped in chocolate would be absolutely over the top. Mine were a little thicker and I liked them that way. I am just not a wafey, lacy kind of girl.

Yours look just right.

Engineer Baker said...

OMG I love Settlers! Seriously, the best board game ever. And I definitely should have rolled mine out thicker - yours look just right.

Peabody said...

Mmm, I am all about the easy fondue!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

mmmm...dipped in fondue! an dexcellent idea!

Gigi said...

The cookie look divine! Yum. I wish I could try one!

The Food Librarian said...

I know your plan all along was to make them thick for the fondue! Wow - that fondue looks great.
I really enjoyed your 31 days of blogging - I don't know how you did it...such dedication! I really enjoyed it but you deserve a break! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin