PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

1 Bowl 1 Hour Perfect Dinner Rolls


While I posted a link to the original recipe I got from My Kitchen Cafe quite a while ago, I didn't realize until recently when I was looking at the recipe on Melanie's blog again that other than the ingredients list, I really don't make these rolls the same way. I thought, that being the case, and since I have so many friends and family that ask for this recipe so often, that I should share what I'm actually doing.

The original way to make these rolls works just fine, don't get me wrong, but I have added in a few shortcuts that work really well for me - including changing the type of yeast I use - which makes these really pretty quick to make. I can start and finish the recipe and have hot rolls to eat in about 1 hour. It may take some time to get that fast due to shaping all the rolls, but once you get the hang of it, you'll get faster and faster too. Even then, it will probably only take you about an 1 1/2 hours at the very most. This recipe makes perfect, soft, light dinner rolls every time. What I really love about the recipe is that the ingredients list is short and lean, with stellar results.

If you are looking for an easy, fairly quick soft dinner roll recipe that delivers wonderful results - look no further!

Perfect Dinner Rolls

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cup, then leveled off

In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.

To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour - on low speed with the paddle attachment incorporate the flour to create a wet, sticky mixture. Still on low speed, add 1 cup of the remaining flour and incorporate. Switch to the dough hook and add the remaining 1 cup flour. On low speed, mix the dough to incorporate the final addition of flour until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the speed to medium and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl - turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 -30 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently deflate into a rectangle. Cut it in half vertically, then each half vertically again into thirds so you have 6 equal strips of dough. Cut each strip of dough into fourths by cutting horizontally to make 24 little squares of dough. Take each piece of dough and cup it lightly under the palm of your hand on a clean surface. Press lightly and start rotating and rolling the dough ball quickly so that it forms a nice little ball of dough. Once you get some practice, you can do this with both hands at the same time and really speed up the process.

Place each rolled piece of dough into a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan in rows of 4 about 1/2-inch apart. Cover the rolls in the pan with a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap and let rise to double while your oven is preheating to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) - about 20 minutes. If you want an even more golden color to the rolls, brush them with a little melted butter before baking. Bake for 13-15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!

22 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Love the way these rolls look! Great adaptations to a great recipe. I'll most likely use the fp when I make them, so I'll let you know how that works.

Jennifer said...

These look delicious! I have them bookmarked to make soon!

Melanie said...

Glad these rolls have been such a hit for you Holly. Your changes look great. I also use instant yeast and the dough rises incredibly fast. They are a great roll to make in a pinch.

Barbara Bakes said...

Your rolls do look perfect! I'm not sure I could ever do both hands at once though!

Anonymous said...

Ooh - these are just what the doctor ordered! Soft dinner rolls = always welcome at my house.

Maria said...

Those look perfecto! I need to make them so we can use our homemade jam!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous rolls and the recipe looks like a great recipe too!

Susan said...

These rolls look fabulous! Thanks for sharing the recipe. May have to try them this weekend.

Snooky doodle said...

wow these are so perfect!

Peggy said...

these look great! definitely perfect for the busy work week!

Jacque said...

Oh my! Those do look perfect and delicious!... and in an hour?

Efficient too :)

Unknown said...

OK these sound easy enough for me to do. And would really love to Suprise wife with some homecooked Rolls on my dinner night. But one questions. How can I adapt Receipe for not having a Mixer bowl like the one in instructions. I have a plain ole hand mixer. Can anyone please push me in right direction on doing this. Thank you

johnnychet@gmail.com

Peabody said...

Those are some perfect looking buns.

doughmesstic said...

Thanks Holly! These are perfect for me to try! I have such issues with bread - maybe these will be a winner for me!

Dolce said...

These look perfect indeed. I will give them a try for my next party!

Di said...

Those look so good! And quick is even better. =)

Zeitgeist said...

You rolls made my eyes rolls!! Those are perfect, golden looking rolls! Thanks for posting and for sharing!

Pamela said...

Oh yay! I love a good post about rolls. So perfect for the fall and all the yummy soups I am going to be making soon. Thanks

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Holly, I finally posted the rolls that I baked back in January from your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing this one; I'll be baking them again!

Simply Life said...

wow, these look so good!

Carlie said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! It so yummy! and I love that I can make these "last" minute. Now, I just need to figure out Texas Roadhouse's cinnamon butter and that would make them much more yummy! Thanks again!

Unknown said...

made these tonight for Christmas dinner w/my husband--they are wonderful and his favorite homemade rolls so far :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin