PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


I have been wanting to come up with a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for a while now - really ever since we made the pumpkin muffins for TWD and I discovered that I actually do like pumpkin in some things. I knew that I wanted a cookie that was very soft, but would still hold its shape and not just fall apart when you pick it up. I also knew I wanted to come up with a recipe that would make a lot of cookies at once because we made these to take to Aidan's school as a treat for all the teachers and staff.


I am in charge of the 'Hospitality Committee' for the PTO at Aidan's school and in addition to four meals we are feeding the teachers this year during Parent/Teacher Conferences we are also providing a treat of some kind for the entire faculty six times a year. Crazy, I know. Luckily, I have a great co-chair who is an incredible help and between the two of us (and the occasional volunteer) we seem to be able to keep it under control.

This recipe makes enough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies to feed a crowd - approximately 6 dozen in fact. They were each about 1/2-inch high or so and about 3 inches across - so fairly good sized I think.

I also wanted the recipe to have a decent amount of spice in the cookie itself - I didn't want it to be too mild or too spicy though. Just a good balance. You could easily add more chocolate chips (or sub whatever kind of chip you want - my next wish list is some of the cappuccino chips - I think that would be crazy good!) to this if you like your cookies with more than a scattering.



Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe by Holly Hanks

Makes approx 72 cookies (6 dozen)

6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground/grated nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
6 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 29-oz can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
3 cups (or more) chocolate chips (or another variety)
Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use parchment lined baking sheets.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl with paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl with hand mixer) beat together the eggs, granulated sugar and brown sugar till well combined and lighter (it will be thin and not fluffy) - approximately 2 minutes. On low speed mix in the oil, melted butter, vanilla and pumpkin till combined - approximately 1 minute more. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix on low until combined. Add 1/2 of the remaining mixture and mix until combined, then add the remaining flour and mix until just combined. Using a large rubber spatula, add the chocolate chips and fold in until well combined.

Use a 1-ounce scoop (or scoop by large rounded tablespoons) onto the parchment lined sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes until the tops are set and only slightly springy but not too moist or wet. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. (Optional: Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar just before serving). Store in an airtight container or freeze and enjoy later!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

They look divine! The texture looks teeth sinkingly good and your top photo truly tempting. Well done.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm sure the teachers love you!

Amanda said...

I loved those pumpkin muffins from TWD! Yummy :) These look really good Holly!

Di said...

Ooh, good idea. I bet my girls would love these. Just this morning they talked me into making chocolate chip pumpkin muffins...again. =)

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I'm sure the teachers appreciated them!

woof nanny said...

Oh yeah. Just printed this one out. Love how you tweet what you post--love this blog!

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful! I'm off to see if I have any pumpkin in the cupboard. Thanks for the recipe.

Katrina said...

We love the pumpkin chocolate chips cookies and I really like your "snow-topped" ones!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Manggy said...

I'm glad you've been converted! We don't do pumpkin desserts a lot (if at all) in the Philippines but now I find I like it, especially in dry (cake and cookie, not wet like custard or pie) applications :) Your cookies look fab!

Maria said...

I love pumpkin cookies. I Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin