PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TWD: Chocolate Chip Cookies



Tuesdays with Dorie this week is all about my (and probably most everyone else's favorite cookie - in this case the cookies are known as My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies chosen by Kait at Kait's Plate.

Now, I have used many, many chocolate chip cookie recipes over the years and haven't ever really met a cookie I didn't like. That said, I have made this recipe two times, and both times, for some reason the results were less than stellar. In fact, the first time the cookies practically melted on the pan.

The second time I tried chilling the dough and following some of the high altitude changes suggested by King Arthur Flour since that has usually been the problem in the past when cookie recipes have somewhat failed for me. The cookies pictured here are the high altitude version, but since the results were still not what I was hoping for, they still don't beat out the NY Times Chocolate Chip Cookies for me (recipe here). I still give Dorie partial credit for that recipe as well since she is one of the sources consulted for the article, so it is still a TWD in my book! I don't know what it is about that recipe, but those cookies behave so nicely here at my Utah altitude (about 4,300 ft) that I'm still not switching.

I know the problem isn't just Dorie's recipe though because I've run into the same issue with several different recipes - it is just an altitude thing and I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix it on my own, so there you go. I hope that others fared better than I did. While you might think that altitude may not make too much of a difference, to give you an idea of the difference between where I live vs Dorie's elevation in NYC - well, the difference is drastic. While I'm at about 4,300 ft, NYC is pretty much at sea level.

For more cookies visit the TWD Blogroll!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your cookies look beautiful!!!!

I tried the espresso version and loved them!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

No matter how you feel about these cookies, they came out beautifully. I wish mine looked like that.

Cristine said...

Kudos to you for trying to make them work. I STILL need to try the NYT ccc's.

Tia said...

I made mine with white chocolate and orange zest - creamsicle cookies!
i love your photos and your blog banner. très cute.

Jodie said...

I think that happened to everyone! I read in the P&Q some people tried chilling the dough, but it didn't work. Oh well, they're still tasty pancakes! :)

Mary said...

They look great! Mine were flat and I'm at sea level. I think that's just what is intended for the recipe. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway:)

Unknown said...

Mine were really thin & crispy too and I'm at sea level. Definitely not a favorite, but with so many other recipes out there to try there's one for all of us :)

Susan said...

Mine were flat, flat, flat and I am in central Virginia. :( I thought they tasted pretty good, but the hubby wasn't impressed. Yours look great!

Katrina said...

NYT is my favorite ccc, too.
About to move back to Utah in a few months and I never really thought about it being high altitude (but, duh, makes sense.) I'll have to start thinking about learning the high altitude baking ropes soon!
Nevertheless, your photos sure look great!

Cindy said...

I am glad to find another high altitude friend! It really is a challenge. I actually e-mailed Dorie about her cookie bar (that flopped) and asked her about high altitude issues. She sent me back the sweetest e-mail, basically saying she had only ever baked at sea level. And good luck!
So I guess we are on our own. I will have to try the NYT recipe!

Flourchild said...

Yep we live up high too..about the same as you..I think it does make a difference in baking. I have more problems with my cakes and have to add more flour.
YOur cookies look so good! I need to try the NYT cookies..have had the recipe forever...

Manggy said...

Did you do these well in advance? You should be resting!! Hee hee :) They're my favorite cookies too!

Leslie said...

These look fine to me, but I know how it feels to want things to turn out a certain way. I hope you're having a blast with your adorable daughter!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin