PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TWD: Dulce de Leche Duos

Photobucket

Well, with my darling Miss K. here in our lives it seems that all I seem to manage lately is Tuesdays with Dorie. I have good intentions to post more, really. I guess since she has only been with us five crazy weeks that I ought to cut myself some slack, but since the desire to do more is still there, it just isn't all that easy.

Anywho.

Photobucket

I was really excited when Jodie at Beansy Loves Cake chose the Dulce de Leche Duos for this week's recipe. I actually made these cookies quite a while ago and really loved them. Back then I made my own dulce de leche by using a can of sweetened condensed milk and I filled the cookies with bittersweet chocolate.


This time I switched things up just a bit and used some homemade dulce de leche that I made myself from milk, sugar and a vanilla bean. I can't begin to tell you how delicious this stuff is - even better than making it from the can! As soon as I figure out what I did with the recipe I came up with I promise to post it here because it really is something else. I think using the vanilla bean really put it over the top. Aside from that, I think what I really loved too was that my homemade version wasn't too overly sweet, and I cooked it until it really got as dark as I wanted it.

I also filled the cookies this time, some with more of the dulce de leche, and some with chocolate. Since I had some ground hazelnuts sitting around I also rolled the edges of a few cookies in the nuts for a little extra something.

Be sure to check out the TWD blogroll to find out how everyone else fared this week.

Photobucket

35 comments:

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

i can't wait for this dulce de leche recipe it looks so good i want to lick that spoon! and what cute little cookies, I bet they are delicious!

Tia said...

your DDL looks amazing. Even more amazing since you made it from scratch! way to go!

Nickki said...

They look amazing. Your Dulce de Leche looks delcious! Mine didn't turn out as dark as yours. I think I was a little too quick taking it off the stove :-)

Paula said...

I'll be watching for your DdL recipe. You make it sound very good.

chocolatechic said...

Okay. Mine are just so paper thin.

I wonder what I did wrong.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm so impressed you found time to even make cookies! I'm off on a trip for the new couple of weeks, hopefully when I get back it will be park weather and we'll plan something.

Cristine said...

Your cookies look fantastic!

Teanna DiMicco said...

Oooh please post the recipe! I've been looking for a good dulce de leche recipe! Your cookies look phenomenal!

Beth said...

Oh that looks sooooooooo good! I love the idea of homemade ddl. Great job!

Ashley said...

I thought about trying a few of these with bittersweet chocolate in the middle but didn't. Now I think I'm going to have to go back & make another batch just to try it. Yours looks fantastic!

CB said...

What a tease!! I'll be waiting for that dulce de leche recipe woman! Please give Miss K a huggy+kissy from me.
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

TeaLady said...

I am sure Ms. K helped with these cookies. Or WILL in a couple of years. They look wonderful. Like the one rolled in nuts. Delish!!

Also looking forward to the DdeL recipe. I boil cans.

Manggy said...

That is heaven in sandwich form! Well, cookie sandwich form :)

Bella Baker said...

these look amazing and I am completely drooling over your photography! Just gorgeous!!

Jencrafted said...

Wow! Dulce de leche that's made from scratch?!! I'm impressed. I also love the hazelnuts on your cookies. Great job!

The Food Librarian said...

What a great combo of flavors...soft cookies, DDL and hazelnuts! These look great. - mary the food librarian

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look fantastic! Can't wait for your DLL recipe!

Jacque said...

Oooh, very nice! Your dulce de leche looks out of this world good. And your cookies are perfect.

Katrina said...

Ok, you win. Best looking Duos I've seen. Love the chocolate and hazelnuts ones!
I really play around, but today decided two of the original cookies with Nutella in the middle was pretty darn good.
I don't love the ddl in a can, so I'll have to try your recipe sometime!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I have your problem too ! not more than TWD ! Gorgeous photos !!

Susan said...

Love the cookies rolled in nuts! I am thinking of trying to make my own dulce de leche. I think Alton Brown has a recipe that has gotten high marks.

Cristie said...

Your cookies are BEAUTIFUL! Love the combinations you put together. Your post is wonderful and you are amazing with everything you have to do. What a darling plate!

Gourmified said...

Well. Look at you Miss Overachiever making your own Dulce de Leche. Hmph. Though "secretly" jealous you spent the time and had the patience to do it. Oh yeah! Your cookies really look like perfection, as always.

Would LOVE to hear all about Miss K. Miss you.

Leslie said...

These look perfect, Holly! I think you made the Alton Brown recipe. I made it too and posted it a few days ago.

margot said...

Your cookies look incredible, as does that homemade Dulce de Leche. And yes, do cut yourself some slack; it's impressive you have enough time to bake once a week with an infant.

margot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Di said...

Your cookies look great. And I love the dark color of your dulce de leche. I'll have to try making it from scratch next time.

Steph said...

Those look soooooooooo heavenly. If I could actually bake I would even try something like that out.

Amanda said...

Oh wow Holly!! Amazing! I had to do a rewind this week, didn't have the ingredients. Still want to make them though!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Dang woman, yours look great! I need to try that homemade ddl recipe! Love that jar too! Hope all is well!

Marthe said...

I thought these were too sweet with the dulce de leche filling, I preferred them plaing. Maybe I'd like them better with bittersweet chocolate.

Jodie said...

Those look fantastic! Thanks for baking!

Unknown said...

Wow that is one dark DDL! Your cookies look amazing!

Table Talk said...

I have been avoiding all desserts in preparation for vacation...then I landed here. Talk about willpower! I am glad I discovered your site, you have some really lovely desserts here.
The shortbread/chocolate/raspberry tart is calling to me.

Sweet as Coco said...

My goodness these look tasty!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin