PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

TWD: White Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Coulis

Photobucket

I am a project collector. I take on too many things at once and should really learn to not spread myself so thin. I know all this, and yet, I don't seem to be able to stop myself. Why?

I guess to a certain extent, I thrive on the energy of accomplishing the things I set out to do. Unfortunately, the flip side of that is being a perfectionist who is forced to underperform and let slide too many things each day because, although I said a while back I was trying to find a way to fit more hours into the day, it just isn't happening. So, until I learn how to stop spreading my time out so thinly, I'll just keep trying to juggle the best I can. I hope you'll continue to bear with me as I have some important things I need to tell you all about but just can't seem to find the right time or the right way to say it. It will be soon though, because the lack of communication on my part is driving me nuts. My most sincere thanks to you for still coming here and visiting, even though I've been strangely out of touch lately. I promise to shed some light on that all soon and am sure you'll all understand. UPDATE: Please visit my new blog Sweet and Simple and read the start of my explanation about what is happening in our life. I am finally no longer going to be strangely silent. Love you guys!

Speaking of things that were spread thin recently (like that ridiculous segway?) what about the meringue on this week's White Chocolate Brownies for Tuesdays with Dorie? I know several people mentioned they had decided their brownies were going nekkid, but I chose to just stick to the recipe and see what they turned out like. I've never made any type of brownie that had white chocolate, ground almonds, fresh raspberries and then meringue spread on top of the unbaked batter - very unique, and therefore, I wanted to see what they were meant to be like.

The White Chocolate Brownies were chosen by Marthe of Culinary Delights, but I have to give a little shout-out to Ms. Clara who has been waiting **oh so patiently** for someone to finally choose this recipe :) Actually, I was really excited too and we really enjoyed them.

Photobucket

I made the full batch to take to a family BBQ where they were pretty much devoured. I was concerned when making the recipe due to the fact that so many people were having trouble getting them to bake all the way through. I think I ended up baking mine for a good 10 minutes extra and the middle portions were still quite gooey. I'm still not sure what that was all about or how to fix it, but I've decided that next time (like our host, Marthe) I will probably do cupcake sized portions and not have to worry so much about the gooey-ness.

I think I would also like to try a version with ground hazelnuts instead of the almonds, but the almond meal was really wonderful in it. I went ahead and made the raspberry coulis like Dorie suggests for serving on the side, but frankly, they didn't really need it. Overall, it was very different and fun to make, they were delicious and I'll definitely make them again some time.

Be sure to check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll to see how the others fared this week!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Jamie said...

These look delicious and not like brownies but more like luscious little cakes. Very elegant with the gooey white chocolate and the raspberries. Would make a surprising and elegant dessert! Beautiful!

Paula said...

I think Dorie would be proud. What nice pictures! Forgot that Dorie suggested coulis but it certainly ups the sophistication factor.

Nickki said...

Your presentation is beautiful! I also thought these brownies were delicious.

chocolatechic said...

They look wonderful.

I did mine totally different by adding white chips and macadamia nuts to mine.

Joanne said...

I think you are the first person I've seen to give these brownies a rave review! They look awesome.

Marthe said...

I wonder why your meringue is so thin, mine was already quite thick when it went on and it doubled or even tripled in size while baking!

Your brownies look perfect however, glad you liked them!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

I can't wait to hear your news, Holly.

I loved this recipe so much. My meringue was also on the thin side...maybe next time it will be thicker.

Barbara Bakes said...

The brownies sound scrumptious. I loved reading what you wrote about Kayla. It must have been so difficult to write, but you did a beautiful job explaining your emotions.

Maria said...

Very pretty dessert!

Cindy said...

These are delicious. So many interesting flavors.

Gourmified said...

Oh boy! Too much going on at my house to even think about baking right now...things you don't want mentioned on a food blog. Your "brownies" look amazing, though! It'll be one I try another time for sure.

Katrina said...

Ooh, yours look perfect! Mine were super underbaked, but I loved the flavors when I tasted an edge piece. I'd totally do cupcakes if I make these again, too!

Unknown said...

These brownies look delicious. Love the crispy meringue layer, seems like you got it perfect :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin