PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

An Edible Imagination - Bedtime Stories & Baking Book Club


I've been kicking an idea around for a while, and as summer is wrapping up and the kiddo's are getting ready to return to school, I've been thinking more about how to get my kids more interested in reading.  Not only in being able to read for themselves, but in the joy and wonder of reading a really great book that just takes you away to a whole other place.

Over the past year or so Aidan and I have tackled a few books together that were really our bedtime stories at this point.  Ones that, as he is just learning to read, I read to him for enjoyment before bed.  We work on smaller books that he can sound out and learn on.  These books are ones to spark his love of reading.  We've had a great time with the ones we have read so far and I wanted to refocus myself and get started on this again during the school year especially.

I've found that, since learning to read is challenging for him, he sometimes starts to lose the desire to read - until we settle down with a story that he gets to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

This is where having an Edible Imagination comes in.

Cole is just started to be more interested in books, and Aidan loves it when we read a big book for bedtime stories - one that will take us a while to get through, but is worth it.  We have tried to focus on children's classic literature options - especially some of the ones that have been made in to movies so that he gets to hear the real stories as well.

I've decided to recommit myself to this project and make myself a book list for this coming school year.  I've created the Edible Imagination button for anyone who feels like joining in and reading along.

The edible part of the book club comes in with helping my kids with their measuring and math and kitchen skills.  They already love helping me in the kitchen.

So, this is how it will work.

At the beginning of each month I will be posting our book selection from children's classic literature lists I've been looking at.

During that month, we will read the book together - if your kids are old enough, feel free to let them read to you as well - take turns!

At the end of the month, I will make something in the kitchen with my kids.  They will get to help choose what it is and use their imaginations for what inspired them from the book.  I will guide them in their choices - but not curtail their decisions.  If this means we end up with something really off the wall or that looks or sounds crazy, so be it.  It will be a fun learning experience, and that is the point.  I will also restrain myself from trying to make them let me do everything and try to make it come out perfect or pretty.  The pictures will be of their work, and on some occasions if it works out, mine as well.

You can grab the button code over in the sidebar!

When I post their creation, we will include a review, in their words, of what they thought of the book.  On that post, anyone that is interested in reading and baking/cooking along can leave a link to their post about their book review and kitchen experience.  You can post your review and experience anytime during the month, or whenever you finish the book.

At the beginning of the next month I will post our next book choice.  If there is a lot of interest in the book club, and suggestions for reading, I will probably put in a couple of options for what to read so that there is a choice.

I hope you feel up to the challenge and decide to join in the fun.  I would love to hear any suggestions!

August's Book:  Alice in Wonderland

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a GREAT idea! Thanks so much for sharing =)

Anonymous said...

This is such a GREAT idea! Thanks so much for sharing =)

Anonymous said...

This is such a GREAT idea! Thanks so much for sharing =)

Katy said...

What a wonderful idea!

Stephanie said...

This is such a great idea! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to understand how much fun this idea is.

Amy said...

I have a 5 yo girl that really loves to read now and it has inspired her 3 yo brother to learn.
I think this is a gret idea! Great Job Holly.

Holly said...

What a brilliant idea! We are SO participating in this. Off to the library first thing Monday to pick up Alice In Wonderland!

Shandy said...

You are Brilliant! A wonderful teaching aide filled with the joy of sharing precious moments for years to come. Love it. I wish I could join in the fun but my little girl is 19 years old =). I SO miss her little girl years; even though she will ALWAYS be my little girl. Hugs, Shandy

LJ said...

You might enjoy this from the gal who wrote "The Hapiness Project"
http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2007/07/what-i-learned-.html
She talks about the reading groups she's started for her kids.

Gourmified said...

My kids think this is a brilliant idea. We found a crazy version of Alice in Wonderland at the library and Allison is sooo excited to re-create the tea party using all of "her" sets. Too cute!

PheMom said...

It's almost the end of the month and we will be sharing what we thought of Alice in Wonderland in just a few days! I hope you decided to follow along and join in! Thanks so much for all your kind words about the project and the suggestions. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin