PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TWD: Peanut Butter Crisscrosses with Chocolate Chips

Photobucket


For some really random reasons, this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe for the Peanut Butter Criss-Cross Cookies (here with chocolate chips) took me on a surreal trek down memory lane.  It was kind of fun though, and the cookies were great, so, while I don't often get really random on here, please allow me in this case to indulge in some true ridiculousness.  Thank you to Jasmine at Jasmine Cuisine for choosing this recipe and sending me to visit the past.  It was fun!

I have always LOVED peanut butter cookies.  My favorites growing up were always the ones that added in some chocolate.  No shock there.  These cookies were everything I want in a good peanut butter cookie.  I only made changes (leaving out the extra peanuts and adding the chocolate chips without the cocoa variation) because I just wanted to use what I had on hand.  I'm sure the other variations are just as wonderful.

For whatever reason - and I blame the nostalgia of these cookies themselves for sending me off on this tangent - when I was typing 'Criss-Cross' in the title it took me all the way back to 1992 and another Kris Kross - two kids who were only 13 and hit big on the rap scene.  The first song I remember was one called "Jump" - not a particular favorite of mine, but it did get me thinking...

I would have been a freshman in high school (you all know I'm not shy about dating myself here now).  I grew up in Wyoming and the extent of our access to the outside 'trendy' world was getting our tv stations from Denver.  If I wanted any concept of what was going on in the world (let's face it - the internet was just getting going where I lived - I have no idea when it started booming in places that weren't as rural as Wyoming) was to watch MTV.  This all got me thinking about what music I listened to back them (pretty much everything - which is the same now) and what other music was popular during my high school years.

This is one random tangent I know, but it made me realize a couple of things about music that was popular in the early nineties - there was an awful lot of jumping going on - especially at our high school dances.  So, to share in the random tangent I went on and take any of you other nineties lovers there with me, I found a list of some of the songs that were popular in the 90's.  Prepare yourself.

Photobucket

So, grab a cookie and have your own little nostalgic moment.  Enjoy! I'm not going to lie - I enjoyed this mix - some were favorites, some were ones that we got really, really, really sick of - but over all it was a nice little trip with some good laughs too.

The 90's were a pretty big decade for me I must say as I look back.  I started high school, dated for the first time, went to my first school dances, had my first real crushes, graduated high school, moved away from home for the first time, moved to a different city/state from my parents, went skydiving, met my husband and got married.  It was a whirlwind.

What song/memory do you associate most with the 90's?



I have to send you to this separate clip too though because for some reason the first one pretty much had no grunge on it and frankly, that was a huge part of the 90's for me too.  Along with my flannel shirts and Docs (which, incidentally, I still find very cute - they were pretty practical in Wyo too - these are the closest style to ones I used to wear I think).  That was a very acceptable fashion in the wilds of Wyoming.  :)

Photobucket

14 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I ended up adding peanut butter chips to mine.

Yours look great.

Di said...

Ooh, I bet my girls would love your version--they love pretty much anything with chocolate chips in it. =)

Christine said...

I love this blog! A blast from the past, thanks for sharing. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look delicious with the chocolate chips.

Cindy said...

I just got rid of my Docs, man I loved those shoes!These PB cookies are pretty tasty!

Madam Chow said...

Your photos keep getting better and better!

I got rid of my Doc Martens a couple years ago. Sigh.

Tia said...

i agree with madam chow!

Gourmified said...

YUMMMM!!!...and I STILL have my Doc's...some old some newer. LOVE them!

Katrina said...

I have to say, I'm an 80' gal, but went right along with the 90' when they came and it was definitely at great decade! I kinda loved, shhh, don't tell, New Kids on the Block!

Your cookies look perfect! Chocolate, yes!

Flourchild said...

Yum puttong the chocolate chips in was a great idea! Your cookies look good and I want one NOW!!

Beth said...

The chocolate chips look amazing in your cookies. And the best song of the 90s? Too hard to pick one, but "Wonderwall" would be up there.

Nickki said...

Gorgeous cookies! I smiled when you mentioned "Jump" by Kriscross. That song was everywhere in '92!

I was a teenager in the 90's and I have so many memories. What song reminds me most of that decade? That's a tough one, there are so many! But the one that springs to my mind first is Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit. I went through the whole grunge phase!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i have been thinking a lot about the 90s, too, recently...as soon as i went to college, my parents moved cross country, and i never saw many of my high school buddies again. for some reason i've been wondering lately where they all wound up--i should go to my 20 yr reunion i guess! these cookies look so good with that gooey chocolate!

Unknown said...

Those cookies look wonderful. Loved reading the tangents :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin