PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

5 Minute Hot Fudge Sauce


Remember when I made this chocolate loaf cake? It was so good and so easy that when I realized I lost the recipe write up I originally made, I went ahead and used my notes to make it again... just to make sure... yeah.  That's my story. I'm sticking to it.

I kept getting compliments on how good that cake looks, and honestly, it really is just that good.  Then I started thinking about what I really wanted to do with that cake and decided that I should just go ahead and do it already.

When my family would eat out while I was growing up, if I could swing dessert I always ordered the same thing.  Hot Fudge Cake with vanilla ice cream and nuts.  Always.

And it was always a HUGE serving. I can't remember for sure, but I'm fairly certain I always polished it off too.  I decided to make one huge, big bowled, spoons for the whole family kind of serving for this Hot Fudge Cake too.  It actually ended up being a really fun and kind of silly/sweet bonding time with A. who loved the chocolate loaf cake plain, but has asked me about this Hot Fudge Cake almost every day since.

The thing about this Hot Fudge Cake is though that, as good as the cake itself has to be - chocolatey, moist, tender with a sturdy-ish crumb - you can't just use some run of the mill hot fudge on it, and definitely not just chocolate syrup.  Oh no.  It has to be the real thing.


In this case, I came up with this idea late in the day and just couldn't wait to try it, but also didn't have long to make the hot fudge.  I wanted instant gratification hot fudge.  That's not to say that the original, traditionally made version actually takes too much longer, because it doesn't, but I was too lazy to fiddle with the stovetop.

By taking a few little chances and making some convenient adjustments to an already stellar recipe, I got exactly what I wanted.  So, if sometimes, you are like me and just need the good stuff right now.  Give this a try!


5 Minute Hot Fudge Sauce
Makes about 2 cups


3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup dark brown (or light brown) sugar
1/3 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a large glass measuring cup or other microwave safe bowl whisk together the cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa and salt to combine well.  Microwave on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until hot but not boiling over.  Start with 1 minute, then just look and see if it is just simmering - it will be hotter than you think if it is simmering, so don't wait for it to boil and scald.

Add the chopped chocolate and butter to the mixture and let it sit and melt for 1 minute.  Use a small whisk or rubber spatula to stir the chocolate and butter into the mixture until melted and smooth.  Microwave for 30 seconds more if needed, just enough to make sure all the chocolate and butter are melted without scorching anything.  Add the vanilla and stir well to combine thoroughly.

The hot fudge can be used right away or cooled to room temperature then stored in a tightly lidded, airtight, heat proof container in the refrigerator.  If using the fudge out of the refrigerator, heat it gently in a bowl of hot water or in 10 second bursts in the microwave till just the desired consistency.

(This recipe is liberally adapted from Dorie Greenspan - for a fantastic traditionally made version, go here).

8 comments:

Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...

omg Holly! that is sinfully delicious!!! you tempter! :)

Barbara Bakes said...

A could fall in love with this late night snack!

Kate said...

I have a recipe for hot fudge, but it is nowhere near this simple. I'm adopting yours.

Unknown said...

I just want to dive into this, it looks fabulous!

Fallon said...

If I order dessert out it always has to involve ice cream or I'm not a fan. This fudge sauce looks like something you'd get from a diner! Mmm

Joanne said...

I'm not sure whether being able to make hot fudge this quickly is a good or a bad thing. Only one way to find out...

Looks amazing!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

I like the addition of brown sugar, that must give the sauce caramel undertones.

scrambledhenfruit said...

This looks dangerously simple to make- I can think of so many delicious ways to use it, that chocolate loaf cake being one of them. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin