PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cookbook Spotlight: Huckleberry Cream Tart

Photobucket

If you want to see something that is just ridiculously pretty, you need look no further than through the pages of Deborah Madison's new book, Seasonal Fruit Desserts from Orchard, Farm and Market. If you don't quite believe me, just take a look at the book cover below.


Pretty compelling evidence all on its own, isn't it?

The Cookbook Spotlight - organized by Cath at A Blithe Palate (which is where you can find the roundup of posts soon - this time around was a real joy for me. This book is not only beautifully photographed, but it is also beautifully written and formatted with some really incredible and original ideas.

When I was going through the book, I kept coming back to this one recipe though for a Silky Tart Dough that was left unbaked, then filled with a healthy sprinkling of huckleberries, and then mixture of creme fraiche, eggs and a few other ingredients was poured in.

Honestly, the recipe struck my fancy most because I had never seen or read anything else quite like it. The tart dough is processed together into more of a very thick batter that spreads in the most unctuous and yes, silky, manner and then doesn't have to be baked before the filling is added and when baked is a bit of a cross between a tart dough and thick and sturdy delicious cake layer. The filling itself required very little effort on my part and really just a bowl and a whisk and you can see for yourself how gorgeous the results turned out once baked up.

Photobucket

The Huckleberry Cream Tart was amazing to make - really. I whipped it together in about 20 minutes one morning for breakfast (not including baking time of course - which wasn't too long anyway). Huckleberries are my husbands most favorite fruit on the planet, hands down, so he was pretty thrilled - serious good wifey points for me!

If I had any complaints about the book it would probably be simply that it is a bit devilish to have so many gorgeous ideas for how to use seasonal fruits paraded in front of you... then have to wait for them to come in to season! Of course, that is also part of the fun.

Probably my most favorite part of the book is the fact that Deborah shares so much great information about so many different types of fruit that I really didn't know. I finally feel like I have a good guide to these seasonal gems and many ideas and inspiration to work with to use them, and use them well.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Katrina said...

That does look really good. I've never really seen huckleberries around, but it looks like blueberries would probably work, too.
The chef I take classes from mentions Deborah Madison a lot and takes a lot of inspiration from her. She even did a whole class on things from one of her books. Now I want this book, too!

Becky at VintageMixer said...

This looks amazing!!! Hope you are doing well Holly!!

lindsay said...

Where did you get huckleberries? My husband is from Washington and huckleberries are his favorite fruit too!

PheMom said...

Hi Katrina and Lindsay,

I hadn't seen huckleberries either until I married. My hubs is from far Northern Idaho and his mom gets some every year and shares the wealth. I still have some of last season's stash in the freezer and tried them out. I'm sure blueberries would work great as well!

Holly

Unknown said...

I love huckelberries! I'm from WA and we always had huckelberry syrup, pancakes, pies etc!

Manggy said...

The way they burst and swirl around is just soo pretty. I just want to dive in!

Barbara Bakes said...

I too was wondering about the huckleberries. I bet it would be just as good with blackberries. Sounds like a fabulous breakfast!

Kelly Leigh said...

I love Deborah Madison! I don't have this cookbook but this tart looks great! I think I might have to get it.

Maria said...

Your tart is gorgeous! I am excited to try some recipes in this book.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i am so envious that you live in huckleberry territory! these look fantastic!

Rachel said...

That is one good looking huckleberry tart. Now I'll have to dig into my cookbook and make that one up. Gluten-free, though.

Joanne said...

I love this cookbook as well and you did such a great job reviewing it! I don't think I've ever had a huckleberry but I was totally enamored by the thought of that tart dough as well. I will have to try it!

test it comm said...

That blueberry tart looks so amazingly good!

Pots and Pins said...

Wish I could get my hands on some huckleberries!! And the recipe for this tart, too! Will you be posting it soon? Thanks! xo, Nan

Blog Widget by LinkWithin