PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

TWD: La Palette's Strawberry Tart


Photobucket

I recently read a post by Peabody that I was just reminded of while preparing to write about this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe because she was talking about the little angel and the little devil on her shoulder. I find myself in a somewhat similar predicament with this week's recipe - La Palette's Strawberry Tart, chosen by Marie of A Year From Oak Cottage. Otherwise known as my new favorite way to eat strawberries!

You see, not too long ago I made the Tarte Noir from Baking From My Home To Yours for my first post over at Blake Makes as a Blake Baker (which, incidentally launched yesterday with a fabulous tutorial on making bread by TWD's very own darlin' Lemon Tartlet Leigh) and had already made Dorie's Sweet Tart Crust. Herein lay my dilemma. All I could think about, all week long was the combination of that crust with chocolate. I couldn't get it out of my head.

So, back to the angels and devils. The angel was telling me "Don't mess with a good thing. It is supposed to be simple and rustic. Just relax and let this recipe be what it is." But, then that little devil kept piping in and saying "Oh, it's just a little change - besides, isn't everything better with chocolate."

Photobucket

Sooo... from the look of the crust you can pretty much tell that it was once again a bit of a draw. I didn't stray toooo much... but, I definitely sidestepped the straight and narrow a bit. I couldn't stop myself from making part of these little tartlets with the Sweet Tart Dough and the other half with the Chocolate Tart Dough in the book. I made a full recipe of each, and if you check back later this week you will be able to see what happens to the rest of the dough.

Since this dough is basically crumbly chunks pressed into the pan it was easy to just randomly press alternating flavors in to create these dual flavored crusts. Which, incidentally, with this creation, I have discovered an emerging pattern of dessert flavor "indecisiveness" happening here - I mean, seriously, between the Dark and White Chocolate Marshmallows, the Black and White Cookies, all the way back to the Dark and White Chocolate with Raspberry Coconut Tarts.

I guess it is some kind of baking disorder I have - can't decide between my flavors - ah, why choose, just have both! As long as the results keep being so good, I don't think I'll be seeking any counseling for it just yet.

Be sure to check out the other Dorie-nator's creations (thanks for the new title CB ; )

Other Tuesdays with Dorie:

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with this crust! I'm writing this in my copy of the book so I can try it another time, what a great idea.

Engineer Baker said...

Great idea! Do you have any pictures of just the shell? I bet it looks really neat.

Prudy said...

Love the swirled crust and that funnel cake looks insanely good, too. I haven't made it in years. Last time I made it I splattered oil on my new shoes. That was in the 90s so maybe I should get over it now!

Anonymous said...

The crust looks wonderful!

Prudy said...

BTW-I'm in Utah,too. Just want down south...

Bumblebutton said...

A baking disorder? That's funny. And your disorder is deliciously apparent with your inventive tarts. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Oy. Glad you went with the little devil this time. They're quite nice looking.

Anne said...

Those look great, I bet the combo tasted amazing!

Marie Rayner said...

Your crust is fabulous! I love the two toned effect. Well done!

CB said...

Black and white tarts? GENIUS. ::saluting my fellow dorie-nator:: HAHA! Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fantastic idea! So creative! And they look delicious!

ostwestwind said...

Nice looking tarts, I like the colours black and white

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Nikki57 said...

Ohh I love the chocolate mixed in the crust! Great idea

Mary Ann said...

Sounds so good with the chocolate crust! I want to try it! It looks great too!

Mary Ann said...

Holly-I saw the above mentioned Utah Hive group and joined without asking! Hope that is ok?! Do I need to email you? sorry, I just got over excited and jumped right in!

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous! I'm loving the tuxedo effect.

Sihan said...

no those black and white tarts of yours look mighty fine! i guess it was a right decision after all!

Di said...

I didn't even realize there was a chocolate tart dough in there. Now I'm going to have to make it--soon!

Anonymous said...

You are so creative. Thank you for sharing so I can steal your idea. Ha Ha.

Anonymous said...

How CUTE are these?!? :) This definitely reminds me to try the chocolate tart dough - I'm sure I'll LOVE it!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I love your split personality desserts! Very creative!

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful...so creative...so yummy looking...how did you ever manage to let them be gobbled up? Kudos to your creative mind and willingness to share it with us all.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh--that looks excellent!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh--that looks excellent!

Christine said...

I love what you did with the crust! Tarts look delicious and your photos are always amazing!

Heather B said...

wow! That crust looks amazing! I love your tart!

Susie Homemaker said...

Dear Lord that looks amazing - SO JEALOUS!

Anonymous said...

love the two different flavors of crust. yeah, why should you have to choose between flavors?!? and i agree that chocolate does make everything better.

Liliana said...

Great idea to combine the two different flavours of crust.

Your tarts look wonderfully delicious!

kimberly salem said...

YUM, what a great idea to marble the crust! they look delicious, and lovely photos :)

Mari said...

Your marbled tart crusts look great! I love it and I'm glad that you "played around" with the recipe, it's inspiring!

Jenny said...

Great tarts Holly! Beautiful and perfect for summer. Mmmm!

Manggy said...

Holly, what lovely Dalmatian tarts you have! :D Knowing me, though, I would have gotten all obsessive-compulsive and forked the vanilla parts first, then finished off the chocolate, hahaha :)

Anonymous said...

If the devil is who tries to get you to make changes, y'all need to start praying for me now! You know you own me with your pics, right?

Susan @ SGCC said...

What a clever idea! I love the chocolate mixed in there! Your tartlets looks fabulously delicious!

Hygeian Stew said...

What a great idea! They look fantastic!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

That's brilliant - pressing chocolate and regular dough together. You're so creative.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jules Someone said...

What a fabulous idea! I just may have to steal it. Gorgeous!

Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

oh my, black and white tart shells. kind of like the best of both worlds. i bet they were delicious

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

so cute!

Jenny said...

How in the world did I miss this last week! Those look great.

Jaime said...

beautiful tartlets! love the mixed tart crust

Blog Widget by LinkWithin