PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Almond Glazed Sugar Cookies

Photobucket

Recently, due to Susan's announcement that she is holding a bloggy-bash for the blogiversary of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy (to which the award for best bloggy title goes by the way) where she invited others to submit their favorite party foods to the fun I have been trying to think about A) when was the last time I went to a party and B) what would I take if I were going to a party.

Well, strangely (and pathetically enough) the answer to both questions was not readily obvious to me. In fact, I couldn't remember or think of either one. So - now that that embarassing detail is out of the way, I guess it is a good thing y'all throw these virtual parties so that I still get to socialize sans-baby and kindergartener. OK, maybe people just don't like me and I am a downer at parties - I don't know - but I'm going to blame it on always being in mommy-land and not that I am completely lame - please excuse me now - my insecurity is showing. ANYWAY...

Actually, I did finally think of the last "party" I really went to and it was a wedding shower. This got me thinking about what the standard things that are always at the wedding and baby showers I attend. One thing that immediately came to mind was frosted sugar cookies - not glamorous, but I think they are usually quite pretty and who doesn't love them? I can't actually remember a party recently that I've gone to where there weren't frosted sugar cookies.

I found this version over at Leigh Ann's blog (great blog!) that was found for her by Melanie (another fantastic blog!) and had to give it a try - Leigh Ann's description of the method, flavor and everything sounded just too perfect to pass up. An almond flavored cookie with no chilling, no rolling, no waiting. I have admitted it here before, but my favorite treats are pretty much the ones that are instant gratification - I love making the more complex treats for their own wonderful attributes - but with kids in the house (me included) it is nice to have great treats that there isn't a lot of waiting til I get to eat them - ummm, I mean WE get to eat them.

So, were they all they were cracked up to be...? Yes actually. To give you an idea of the level of love there was for these cookies at our house - well, Aidan (the kindergartner / chocolate lover in the house) turned down a Chocolate Peanut Butter Chipster because he wanted another one of these Almond Sugar Cookies - in fact, both times when faced with the "you can only have one" choice he negotiated straight for these cookies. Thanks to Leigh Ann and Melanie for the recipe! I can't wait to try these again with other flavors - I see vanilla, orange, lemon, raspberry, and lime, and snickerdoodle in my future to start with - seriously, I think this recipe would be amazing in any flavor).

They truly are delicious so I wouldn't hestitate to take them to a party - virtual or real. So, I am sending these over to Susab for her blogiversary! Happy Blogiversary SGCC!

Photobucket

Almond Glazed Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine butter, sugar and almond extract in a large mixing bowl, beat until creamed - about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and beat 1 to 2 minutes more. Scoop the dough into balls and roll (should be about 1 inch). Roll in sugar and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and flatten balls to 1/4 inch thickness with the bottom of a glass.

Bake at 400 for 7-9 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool 1 minute more to set then move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Glaze:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
4-5 tsp. whipping cream

Stir together glaze ingredients with a wire whisk. Decorate cooled cookies with glaze and sliced almonds (optional).

18 comments:

Manggy said...

Oh, those cookies bring back memories of licking glaze off things :) Though I'm quite sure I'd love the cookie too. Imagine that, it won over chocolate, wow!! :)

White Toast with Butter said...

Those look amazing! I will make them soon. Jenny

Prudy said...

We use almost exactly the same recipe as this, but place three sliced almonds in a flower shape on top and call them sand dollars. And boy, what is a party again? For me it's just family getting together-that's big enough for a party. Especially as a citizen of mommy land myself.

Anonymous said...

You're missing 3 additional steps:

1) Put in a box
2) Bring to post office
3) Mail to Braintree, MA...

Seriously, these look delicious and I absolutely have to make them!

Deborah said...

Those look soooo good!! And easy too! And I can't remember the last party I went to that wasn't just a family party, so I'm probably a bigger nerd than you are!

Melanie said...

First of all, I love the platter you have the cookies on!! Second, I'm glad you liked these...sugar cookies are the best cookie ever, in my book. Can't wait to know if you ever experiment with flavors - then I'll copy you!

ambrosia ananas said...

Wow. Those sound amazing. I love almond extract.

Half Baked said...

Those cookies look like they belong on a magazine cover! beautiful!

Peabody said...

These are the kind of cookies that I can eat 20 of without blinking an eye.

Cristine said...

YUM!!!

Check out my blog when you get a chance for a blog award. :)

Abitofafoodie said...

Do you know, I honestly don't think I've ever eaten a sugar cookie. Perhaps its just not an English thing. In any case, I can't wait to try one now. These look and sound extremely moreish!

Mari said...

These look yummy! I love a smiple glazed sugar cookie.

Leigh Anne Wilkes said...

So glad you liked the cookies as much as we did. I spent a lot of time searching for the perfect almond sugar cookie and thanks to Melanie I found it! I can't wait to try it in the different flavors like you suggested. I am a total lemon fan so I am sure lemon will be first.
Leigh Anne @ www.yourhomebasedmom

Anonymous said...

A sugar cookie that requires NO FUSS? I think I love you! :) I'm totally trying these VERY soon!

Gabi said...

Yummy- glad to see you at the bash! How are you- we really need to get the Hive together soon :)
xo

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to make these cookies this weekend. Any idea about how many this recipe will make? I didnt see it on the recipe. Trying to decide if I should double or not. Thanks!

PheMom said...

Hi Amy - good luck this weekend. As for the amount, I baked one pan of 12 and still have a ziploc in the freezer with 20 more pieces. I made them about a tablespoon - so I would guess that the recipe will make between 1 1/2 and 2 dozen. They are very eatable though, and so easy to freeze and save for baking later, it couldn't hurt to double and just bake what you need.

To freeze them I just prepared the dough like it was going in the oven and then wrapped the cookie sheet and put it in the freezer. Once they are frozen solid, just put them in a ziploc and label them with baking directions.

Holly

Anonymous said...

Holly,
Thanks for your advice. I doubled and didnt get to freeze but will have to do next time. These were fabulous!! Everybody said they were the best sugar cookies. And a bonus that they dont have eggs as my daughter has an allergy to them. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin