PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWD: Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Profiteroles with Hot Fudge Sauce



Lynne of Cafe LynnyLu decided on Vanilla Ice Cream for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe. I wasn't sure if I was going to try to make this because a few weeks ago, when we made the Honey Peach Ice Cream, my ice cream maker pretty much died on me. The motor itself is fine, but the bowl leaked out most of the freezing liquid. I decided to give it one last shot and see if it could make it. The ice cream maker is now officially 'dead' (the bowl anyway). It was only slightly churned and somewhat runny, so the texture wasn't as creamy as it could have been. The vanilla bean was nicely prominent in the flavor of the ice cream and the custard itself wasn't difficult to make.



I decided to make profiteroles out of the ice cream. I used the choux pastry recipe from the Daring Baker Eclair challenge a while back. It is delicious and fairly easy to work with. I used Dorie's recipe for Hot Fudge Sauce from the back of the book and it was easy and delicious as well.

Make sure to check the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll to see everyone's ice cream variations this week!



Cream Puff Dough / Pâte à Choux

Source Pierre Herme

  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Divide the oven into thirds by positioning the racks in the upper and lower half of the oven. Line two baking sheets with waxed or parchment paper.
  2. Fill a large pastry bag fitted with a 2/3 (2cm) plain tip nozzle with the warm cream puff dough. Pipe the dough onto the baking sheets in 1-inch rounds. Leave about 2 inches (5 cm) space in between each dough round to allow them room to puff. The dough should give you enough to pipe 30 puffs.
  3. Slide both the baking sheets into the oven and bake for 7 minutes. After the 7 minutes, slip the handle of a wooden spoon into the door to keep in ajar. When the puffs have been in the oven for a total of 12 minutes, rotate the sheets top to bottom and front to back. Continue baking for a further 8 minutes or until the puffs are puffed, golden and firm. The total baking time should be approximately 20 minutes.

34 comments:

Sihan said...

I love all the different renditions and accompaniments garnered from this week's challenge. I served up mine with fondant chocolate cake and it was great! love your profiteroles too! super divine!

Barbara Bakes said...

Great way to serve vanilla ice cream! It looks fabulous!

Hindy said...

Your profiteroles look delicious. I can almost convince myself that it's a breakfast food. ;)

chocolatechic said...

So sorry your ice cream maker died.

This was fabulous ice cream.

ostwestwind said...

Sorry about the death of your ice cream maker, although your dish looks delicious. Fudge, ice cream and profiterols a great combination

Ulrike @ Küchenlatein

Nichicakes said...

Profiterols are a great idea ;)

Ashley aka Eclectic Connoisseur said...

This looks amazing! Ice cream, pastry, and all that chocolate syrup? Yes, please!!

Manggy said...

Oh, sorry to hear about the bowl :( Hopefully you'll find a good inexpensive replacement! I LOVE how tall the profiteroles are! How fun! :)

Mary Ann said...

Lovely idea- they look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about making profiteroles this week, but got lazy. Yours look amazing. Love the chocolate sauce.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

that is too bad about the machine bowl, but you got one last batch out of it! profiteroles are my favorite bistro-style dessert-- yum!!

Jodie said...

Looks wonderful- I love chocolate sauce and ice cream!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm!!! Still turned out fantastic! BTW, DORK, you really could have come and grabbed mine. I'm completely serious with my offer. Next time.

The Food Librarian said...

Oh my goodness! Such loveliness!!!

margot said...

What a fabulous treat! Those photos are gorgeous. My ice cream maker made a funny noise when it was churning this one and it made me wonder how long they generally last.

Pamela said...

Gorgeous!! What a beautiful presentation for your creation. Nice job, Holly.

Pamela said...

OOOOH, looks so fabulous and refreshing; in this heat. I send you an email about the Hive! Talk to you soon!!

Katrina said...

Awesome, Holly! Love how big the scoop of ice cream is in the profiterole! My husband would love this--he loves cream puffy stuff! ;)

Deeba PAB said...

That is absolutely phenomenal...wow! Beautiful!! I love how good the ice-cream looks with those vanilla beans..I ♥ it!!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful use for the ice cream! Your profiteroles are lovely! I haven't had a chance to make this ice cream yet, but I'm hoping to soon... So sorry to hear about your ice cream maker - is it a cuisinart? If so, I believe you can buy replacement freezer bowls.

TeaLady said...

I licked the monitor, but it just didnt' taste as good as THAT ice cream profiterole looks. YUMMY!!!!

Unknown said...

Ok that looks amazing!! The ice cream and the hot fudge sauce running out of the profiteroles is gorgeous! Sorry to hear about your ice cream maker though - that's a bummer!

Connie said...

Holy Cow that's pretty! Your header looks great too!

Linda said...

Oh my, that is one scrumptious looking profiterole!

Sounds like you had your challenges with the equipment, but your ice cream turned out beautifully. Great job!

Engineer Baker said...

Oh wow, the puddling of that chocolate? I just want to dive right into that picture with spoon in hand.

Isabelle said...

Profiteroles what a wonderful idea!
Beautiful presentation!

Unknown said...

Torture! The profiterole looks so yummy. Sorry about your machine!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your ice cream looks fantastic - especially since your ice cream maker died on you! Looks like a super summer dessert!

Michele said...

How delicious! I love the chocolate!!

Sweet as Coco said...

Wow thats impressive that you made the profiteroles too! What a great way to enjoy the vanilla ice cream!

Di said...

Wow. That looks fabulous. I hope you're able to get a new bowl for your ice cream maker soon.

Madam Chow said...

That is definitely drool-worthy. An ice cream filled profiterole has got to be one of the best desserts out there.

Unknown said...

Those look scrumptious. I didn't know that ice cream maker bowls could die! That is sad, sad indeed.

Tiffany Teske said...

Hi! I am your latest follower! I came across your wonderful blog while writing a post for mine, and I needed an example of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Profiteroles with Hot Fudge Sauce. I have linked your post in my post, http://tiffanyteske.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-make-hot-fudge-sauce.html. Please check it out and follow me if you like. Cheers...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin