PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Friday, October 29, 2010

FFwD: Marie-Helene's Apple Cake



I don't think it is any big secret here that I just don't enjoy baked fruit all that much.  What I find particularly hilarious about this fact is the flip side of just how silly I am sometimes when it comes to baking vs. what I'll actually eat.

You see, I don't like baked fruit much... but I just adore baking with it.  This puts me in a ridiculous situation at times where I make things that I have absolutely no intention of eating.  This cake falls into that category.

It was so fun to make!  I loved choosing the different kinds of apples and getting them all ready for the cake.  I loved mixing the miniscule amount of batter and seeing how the cake all cake together.  I loved baking it up and watching friends and family enjoy the cake.

I had a bite.  Just so I could say I did.

I'm a total dork.

I really loved making the cake though, so hopefully that counts for something.  I also did really love how the batter baked up and the buttery and sugary flavor of the cake itself - I'm just not into the baked apples.

Again.  I'm a total dork.


For better reviews of this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe for Marie-Helene's Apple Cake, please visit the FFwD site and check out the LYL post with everyone's links.  I promise, they'll make much more sense than I do.

The only change I did make was to bake my cake in an 8-inch square pan.  There was a sad incident in the kitchen which has caused the demise of my smaller springform pan, (let's just say that when the bottom of a 9-inch pan gets firmly lodged inside another 9-inch pan, neither pan is going to come apart or survive.  It is very very sad) much to my dismay, so I had to get a little creative.  I basically just created two slings of parchment in the square pan and followed the rest of the directions as written.  It worked beautifully with no problems at all.  I still miss my springform though.  

In case you missed it, you can also check out many more recipes from Around My French Table that several of us got together and made for Dorie's birthday this last Sunday.  It was a great roundup and I'm so proud of all my fellow cooks and bakers who are so talented and giving to come together and put together such a beautiful spread to celebrate a truly gracious and lovely lady!

11 comments:

Kris' Kitchen said...

You made a beautiful cake...sorry you are not into eating the baked fruits, but you are a lovely baker.

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

You can certainly share your baked fruit treats with me anytime! ;) Your square cake looks great. May your spring form pan rest in peace. I also saw your roundup for Dorie's birthday...very cool! I love the photos being framed in polaroids. Great job!

Tia said...

the edges look so crispy and yummy! simply perfect.

chocolatechic said...

Beautiful cake.

I didn't make it because I still have pie from TWD.

Hindy said...

It must have been hard to resist nibbling on those lovely crisp edges. Great-looking dessert!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Your good thinking paid off as the square looks wonderful for this!
Trevor Sis Boom.

Barbara Bakes said...

This sounds like a cake I would love. It looks scrumptious!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Looks wonderful, Holly! Thanks again to you and Laurie for putting together our secret project - I know Dorie absolutely loved it! :)

Flourchild said...

Great looking cake! That's wonderful that you made it despite the fact you don't care for fruit baked goods much.

Unknown said...

The cake looks great, and your family enjoyed it - so not a waste of time at all. And I love the square look - instead of making a very short cake in my only springform pan (10"), I'll just make a square one next time!

Anonymous said...

I am a total dork too! i love baking, but sometimes, i am not so much into eating what i bake. That's when family members, friends, visitors to ur house, plumbers, electrician, tv man, gardener... etc.. come in handy! ( yes i actually serve them whatever i bake when they come!)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin