PheMomenon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.phemomenon.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Self-Frosting Pumpkin Nutella Muffins


Sometimes, in the middle of the night, when I'm only half awake, I get these ideas for things that I want to bake.  Often, by morning, I can't remember what it was.  Sometimes it comes to me again, but other times it is imprinted in my brain to the point of obsession.

I openly blame Maria and Katie for my latest episode.

I've had pumpkin on the brain.  And Nutella.  And ways to use both.  That is Maria's fault with her Pumpkin Nutella Bread.

Then, add on the fact that Katie seems to be eerily reading my mind lately and making it so I don't have to figure out how to make a Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate to sub for that infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte that I won't be drinking (no coffee for this girl) and, well, then you can see easily why I have pumpkin on my mind.



I had thought I took care of at least the Nutella issue the other day with these little cakes (Visitandine) I made for Dorie's birthday party, but apparently not.

So, these muffins were born.  The self-frosting technique isn't a new one.  In fact, thanks to Nic at Baking Bites (who I believe was the first to post Donna Hay's Self-Frosting Cupcake recipe about five years ago) this idea took the food blogosphere by storm.  I felt like it deserved a definite revisit.


This recipe came about from some serious tweaking to my favorite Banana Muffin recipe (which, incidentally works with the Nutella on top as well if you aren't a pumpkin fan).  I love this recipe dearly and end up making them about once a week whenever our bananas have outlived their eating out of hand shelf life.  And, yes.  I usually buy enough bananas to make sure that happens!

Self-Frosting Pumpkin Nutella Muffins

1 - 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons natural (not Dutch) cocoa powder

12 heaping teaspoons Nutella for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line or spray a 12-cup muffin pan, set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.  Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar.  Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups evenly (will be about 3/4 full).  Scoop a heaping teaspoon of Nutella onto the top of each muffin.  Use a toothpick or skewer to swirl the Nutella slightly around the top of the batter.

Bake the cupcakes for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Serve warm or at room temperature.  Store in an airtight container.

27 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

My goodness, Holly. These are amazing! The self-frosting idea is very enticing.

Maria said...

These look amazing! Now I have to make your creation:)

Unknown said...

These sounds amazing! And the self-frosting...perfect! Can't wait to give these a try!

Emily said...

Okay, this is the first time I've heard of self-frosting cupcakes. Where the heck have I been? Fabulous!

natalia said...

Dear Holly I wonder if you can go back to sleep after you create these wonders ! I have a few wating bananas do I just sub the same quantity for pumpkim ?

Barbara Bakes said...

Everything's better with Nutella on top!

Barbara Bakes said...

Everything's better with Nutella on top!

Joanne said...

I totally blame those lovely ladies for my pumpkin addiction as well. My roommate also has a jar of nutella that I've been eying. As soon as she goes out for a while...these shall be made. I think she'll be so enamored with them that she won't even notice that the nutella is missing.

Steph said...

Holy toledo...these look super yummy. Gonna have to give them a try!

Fallon said...

Sounds delicious.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

Love it! Happy to be an enabler!

Anonymous said...

wow - these look great! And a fabulous combination of flavours. Pumpin and Nutella sound great together!

Linda said...

Now I know what to do with the nutella leftover from my crepes. Genius!

Katrina said...

Holy cow. Dreamy! And now I'm not sure which to make first--pumpkin or banana. I've got an open can of pumpkin AND ripe bananas. Awesome, Holly.

Gourmified said...

Looks divine!!! Oh, and LOVE your recipe selection in the Wasatch Paper thingy. My Mom found it and gave it to me...we're so proud! Sorry for sounding cheesy...miss you!

Anonymous said...

This post had me at "Nutella". What a clever idea to put pumpkin and nutella together'!

theUngourmet said...

Gorgeous! I remember seeing a recipe like this last fall and thinking I'd love to try it. Thanks for the great recipe! :)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

These look like unbelievably good muffins. Thank you for the recipe, cannot wait to try!!

Cheers ~ Deb

Foodiewife said...

Oh-M-G... seriously, I am so crazy anxious to make these for the weekend. I'm crazy about pumpkin and have been staring at a jar of Nutella for a few weeks... going blank on what to make. You are awesome... thanks!
Oh, and the photos are stellar.

Deborah said...

Can you believe that I've never made any self-frosting anythings?? I definitely need to remedy that - with these muffins!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Thanks so much, and it sounds much easier than I was expecting it to be. Thank you!!
Will be trying this recipe for sure!

Alice Christian said...

I just found your site through Dorie's. I was looking for a recipe I would want to make for a church event and your corn soup caught my eye. Then when I read your bio I had to subscribe. I have a son with Down's who is 18. He is a sweetie! Now I got sidetracked by this Nutella pumpkin recipe. Oh my, can't wait to try this! Looking forward to more recipes.

Amanda said...

OMG i am SO trying these!

Natalie Jane said...

Made them and they were awesome. Gave you some blog love today...

Josie @Skinny Way Of Life said...

this is genius!! My love for Nutella runs deeps, I have 2 jars in my cupborad right now. Oh yes I will be making these asap!!

Unknown said...

Oh yum Holly! I lovee Nutella. Thanks for that link, somehow I hadn't seen it ever yet! This looks amazing :)

Sabine Rogers said...

Do the pumpkin and nutella go well together? I'm a bit skeptical, but very curious to try this recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin